IPC “CERTIFIED IPC SPECIALIST (CIS)” COURSE
7.2 IPC/WHMA-A-620 SPACE APPLICATIONS ELECTRONIC HARDWARE ADDENDUM
“HANDS ON” CABLE ASSEMBLY
IPC/WHMA-A-620 Space addendum provides additional requirements over those published in the IPC/WHMA-A-620 to ensure the performance of cable and wire harness assemblies that must survive the vibration and thermal cyclic environments getting to and operating in space. This course is supported by actual cable building exercises and concludes with a qualifying examination.
The students will demonstrate the ability to build and install in a unit three complete cables. This will involve soldering, cup terminals, crimping, machine contacts, insulated lugs, IDC connections, wire splices, coax connectors, shield terminations, including routing using ty-wraps/lacing cord, shielding–braid and shrink tubing, and testing of the final product.
The CIS will obtain the knowledge to:
- Reference the IPC/WHMA-A-620 standard to make acceptable/reject decisions
- Correctly interpret the intent of the IPC/WHMA-A-620 Space addendum
- Demonstrate hands-on techniques in completing all of the skills included in this course including reading BOM and Blueprint instructions.
- Successfully pass the written exam with an 80% or better
What a Certified CIS receives:
Everyone who successfully completes the Certified IPC Specialist (CIS) skill and written examination will receive:
- Application Specialist Certification
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 Space Applications Electronic Hardware Addendum
- NASA Grade Cable and Wire Harness kit
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, participants will receive B-Space Certified IPC Specialist (CIS) certification.
Prerequisite: Current IPC/WHMA-A-620 CIS certification
Class Length: 40 Hours
Certification Length: 24 months