The electronics manufacturing industry is an ever-changing industry as companies adapt to the fast-paced changes in technological innovations. Aside from gaining a career advantage by obtaining from a reputable IPC training center a professional certification recognized by the electronics manufacturing industry worldwide, it’s also advantageous to know the trends in the industry for next year.
The Internet of Things (IoT)
The IoT was conceptualized many years ago with the popularity of the Internet and smart gadgets. In essence, it refers to the interconnection of various devices, equipment, and appliances through the internet.
For 2023, it’s undeniable that the IoT will be even more popular especially for the players in the electronics manufacturing industry, as both business organizations and consumers seek seamless integration that makes life more convenient and hassle-free.
The driving factors that push the IoT to popularity in the manufacturing industry include:
- The internet, which has become more reliable and accessible
- Electronic sensors, which can now be manufactured to the smallest size possible
- Cloud computing, which allows data to be processed, stored, and managed on a network of servers rather than a personal computer or local server
Electronics manufacturers as well as other businesses that embrace the IoT in their operations can enjoy many advantages that improve the bottom line. These include:
- Real-time and remote monitoring and assessment of equipment and production
- Safety enhancement
- Efficiency boost
- Improved traceability of supplies and product movements through barcodes and RFID trackers,
- Cost and expense reduction
- Product innovation
Search for an IPC training near me today to discover skills-based and industry-recognized courses that will keep your know-how updated with modern standards.
Predictive Maintenance and Resolution
Predictive maintenance allows the manufacturer to monitor the reliability of the equipment to determine when and how it could fail while predictive resolution digs deeper into how to resolve issues with greater accuracy even on the first try. By having this system in place, you can prevent breakdowns before they can happen and improve the first-time fix rate.
The factors that make predictive maintenance and resolution a trendy move for 2023 include:
- The Internet of Things
- Data collection system integrated with the machinery to monitor usage and other statistics
- Artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and machine learning
Equipment breakdowns are annoying incidents that interrupt the production schedule and ultimately lead to massive loss of revenues. With proper predictive maintenance and resolution system in your machinery, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Eliminates, or at least reduces, the costs associated with operational downtime
- Lowers maintenance and repair costs
- Extends the lifetime of the equipment
Enterprise resource planning (ERP)
If your manufacturing operations still don’t have a central system that unifies all of the data from the systems of all your departments, then it’s time to consider having enterprise resource planning (ERP) software.
The system in your materials procurement division, for example, is made specifically for that department with goals and data that highly differs from the system in other departments. By having an ERP system that unifies all the various systems in every department, you can see the bigger picture that allows you to make well-informed, crucial decisions for the benefit of the entire operation.
The factors that make ERP systems more relevant than ever for 2023 include the following:
- Technological advances allow for the implementation of ERP systems more convenient and quicker while boosting reliability. For example, web-based applications are now available for users to access remotely.
- The need for manufacturers to eliminate bottlenecks in the assembly line throughout the operations and to reduce operational costs.
The advantages of embracing an ERP system include:
- Automation of processes to save time and energy
- Optimization of processes to ensure operation in the most cost-effective manner
- Maintaining a lean operation that maximizes resources and eliminates waste
- Real-time information allows manufacturers to make crucial decisions quickly and accurately
Skills training for employees and/or new hires
Several industries, including electronics manufacturing, may have seen an increasing number of companies embracing technology in their operations. Sadly, there’s a shortage of skilled job applicants due to the fact that training for the technology has not kept up, leading to companies experiencing difficulty in finding qualified candidates to fill their job vacancies.
For 2023, help your employees and new hires bring their technical skills to par with industry standards by providing or sponsoring their training courses. You can partner with a well-established IPC training center that provides skill-based courses and training both online and onsite. This training institution can also provide the IPC certifications that your technical employees and professionals require to progress in their careers.
Shifting from B2B to B2C
In the past, many electronics manufacturers provided their products and services to other businesses. For 2023, there’s a growing trend for manufacturers to market their offerings directly to consumers, thus, eliminating the need for retailers and middlemen.
The driving factors for this trending shift from B2B to B2C include:
- Better and more comprehensive consumer data, which allows electronics manufacturers to understand the consumers, leading to the production of more relevant products and the strengthening of customer relationships
- The proliferation of more e-commerce platforms brings manufacturers closer to consumers without the high costs
The advantages of shifting to B2C for an electronics manufacturing company include:
- A profit boost, as there’s no need to factor in the retailers and other middlemen in order to bring products/services to the consumers
- A much quicker time to market and deliver products/services to the consumers
Maximizing supply chain advantages
Technological improvements and innovations in the logistics field have allowed companies to improve their entire supply chain from raw material procurement to delivering the finished products and services to the customer. For 2023, electronics manufacturers should consider assessing their supply chain in order to remain competitive in the industry.
An efficient supply chain provides a variety of advantages for the manufacturers in 2023, including:
- Significant cost reduction in various key areas of operations
- High operational efficiency
- Greater capability to adjust to changes in market demands
Virtual reality and augmented reality
VR and AR are becoming more beneficial to electronics manufacturers as the years go by, and they are expected to continue to do so in 2023. The benefits of these technologies are commonly seen during the design stage of products. By integrating VR and AR with computer-aided design, electronics manufacturers can enjoy massive cost reduction and greater flexibility since they can conveniently make modifications to the design before the product proceeds to the production stage.
Aside from the ability to quickly and accurately modify product designs, VR and AR also offer the following benefits to manufacturers:
- Reduced labor costs
- Eliminate the chances of producing poorly designed products
3D printers have been making their way to the consumer market (especially in the DIY and the art and crafts niche) in the past years. So it just makes sense that 3D printing should become a trend in the electronics manufacturing industry, too.
The benefits of 3D printing for electronics manufacturers are plenty, including the following:
- Creation of products and/or prototypes when they’re needed
- Allows for experimentation of more designs without substantial investment
- Prototyping and product testing are made quicker and more convenient without the high costs
- Eliminates the need for expensive warehousing and large-scale production
- Although 3D printing requires significant capital, the long-term cost-saving benefits can be substantial
Keep your technical skills and knowledge updated!
Search for an IPC training near me to ensure that your electronics skills and professional certifications are at par with the industry standards!
If you’re in Colorado, get in touch with us here at Blackfox to discover a variety of IPC training courses as well as skills-based courses you can enroll in. We also offer a wide range of onsite training services to ensure your facilities and employees are meeting industry standards.